4 January 2021
Dear Parent / Carer
Thank you once again for your support in responding to the news of the staggered start to this term. We understand that you are worried about the impact of this on your child’s learning. Please be assured that we have been working behind the scenes in preparation for this situation and your child’s learning will continue as normal, albeit with them working from home.
Year 11 Music Students
Year 11 Music students have an external BTEC examination on Thursday 07 January 2021 at 09:00-10:00. This examination will take place in the Sports Hall. This venue allows us to distance the students adequately and it is very well ventilated. However, as it may be chilly, I have decided that the students do not need to wear their school uniform. I would ask that they arrive with suitable warm clothing.
Vulnerable Students / Students with Critical Worker Parents
We are offering a provision for vulnerable students / students with Critical Worker parents from 05 January 2021. If you wish to use this provision, please complete this form as a matter of urgency. However, I would like to encourage all critical worker families to consider whether their child can be cared for at home, where it is safest, for some or all of the time. The fewer children making the journey to school, and the fewer children in educational settings, the lower the risk that the virus can spread and infect vulnerable individuals in wider society.
Students should arrive at the canteen by 08:25. They will follow the normal school day and will be expected to complete all the work that is set online independently.
Please ensure your child has a packed lunch and something for break.
Thank you to those who have completed the required information. We will be distributing these laptops tomorrow between 13:00 and 15:00 in our reception area. Parents have been contacted separately about this. If you wish to borrow a laptop for your child and you have not yet requested on, please complete this form by 09:00 tomorrow morning.
Buses will remain in place for vulnerable students / students with Critical Worker parents who are attending our daily provision.
From tomorrow (Tuesday 05 January 2021), all school work will be set on a daily basis on EPraise (www.eprasie.co.uk). Students should access EPraise in the usual way, using their username (e.g. 19yourname) and their usual school password.
You may find this short video useful - https://youtu.be/yqq6CIHgtKo. I recorded it several weeks ago when Year 11 had to self-isolate. Although it was recorded for Year 11, all the information is relevant to all students. The main details are also listed below.
- Each morning, students will need to register using the link on Epraise - it will be under ’Tutor’. They must register before 9.30 am in order to get a mark for attendance. They will be asked to confirm that they are healthy, they can access your work and if they require any communication with a member of staff. They can request a telephone call from a specific member of staff using this link.
- It is our expectation that students will continue to complete their work as normal. This is essential so that students can move forward with their learning. We will be following our curriculum plans to ensure that all content is covered.
- Staff will be providing work for their own classes according to the students’ usual timetables.
- Instructions for work will set on a daily basis using Epraise. Work will appear daily so that students are not overwhelmed by the number of tasks appearing on their timeline.
- Staff may continue to set homework in the usual way.
- In accordance with our ‘Departmental Approaches to Distance Learning’ (attached), some subjects will be providing ‘live’ lessons.
- The link to these live lessons will be shared on Epraise and will take place on Microsoft Teams.
- The protocol for live lessons has been previously shared in the ‘Distance Learning Agreement’ (attached). Students must ensure that their camera and mics are off and that there is an adult present to supervise for safeguarding purposes. The lesson will be recorded by the teacher and available to members of the class. No other recording of the lesson should be made.
Live Lesson Timetable
- Please see the 'live' lesson timetable which is attached to this email. The links for the lessons will appear on EPraise on the day of the lesson.
- Microsoft Teams can be accessed using www.office.com.
- To login, students need to use their username (school email address e.g. email@example.com) and password (your usual school password).
- Once logged into Teams, they will see all of their classes listed. They should click on their class e.g. 8a/Ma1 and then the link to the lesson (‘meeting’).
- Teachers will also use Teams to share lesson resources. These can be found in the ‘Files’ for the class.
- Microsoft software such as Word and PowerPoint can be installed using this link or students can use the online versions if preferred.
Free School Meal Vouchers
We will be issues vouchers using Wonde in the next few days. If you have any issues contact Mrs Hunt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Over this period, I intend to communicate with you daily by email. We will also place these messages on our website, under ’News’. Please ensure we have your correct email address and mobile number. If you have changed your email or mobile recently, please complete this form so we can update our records.
Our new Contact Form is on our website under the 'Contact Us' menu item, or it can be accessed by clicking here. This is the best way to communicate directly with us.
I have read online that the Prime Minister is addressing the Nation at 20:00 tonight. I imagine things may change following his announcement. We will respond and adapt our plans, if necessary, and communicate these changes with you tomorrow.