21 June 2020
Dear Parents / Carers,
I trust you all had a good weekend.
Provision for Next Week - Critical Workers and Vulnerable Groups
Thank you to those parents / carers who have booked their child into our Critical Worker Provision for this week. If you have not already done so, please complete this form - https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/WB22JUNE/.
I wish to stress that parents/carers retain the authority to decide whether school is an appropriate environment for their children. Parents will not be fined for non-attendance at this time, and schools will not be held to account for attendance levels.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the higher demand for this provision, we may need to run two groups from next week. I will contact parents if this is to be the case as further safety measures will be in place.
Year 10 Face-to-Face Sessions - Week Beginning 22 June 2020
The Year 10 sessions next week are shown below. Group 5 and Group 6 need book an appointment time here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UZTV_UPn_DwkVnB8CgPrPmWbWPinq1iDaPtRE6IoIHY/edit?usp=sharing
Date Group Time Subject Room
Monday 22 June Group 1 10:00 – 12:00 Maths U01
Monday 22 June Group 2 13:00 – 15:00 Maths U05
Tuesday 23 June Group 3 10:00 – 12:00 Science U01
Tuesday 23 June Group 4 13:00 – 15:00 Science U05
Wednesday 24 June Group 5 See above Academic Review Canteen
Wednesday 24 June Group 6 See above Academic Review Canteen
Thursday 25 June Group 7 10:00 – 12:00 English U01
Thursday 25 June Group 8 13:00 – 15:00 English U05
This fortnight's Distance Learning work has been updated and can be found on our school website.
Year 7, Year 8 and Year 10
Year 9 Mock Examinations
We have posted the mock papers to you on Wednesday. You should receive them before next Monday. Students should follow the instructions below and return their mocks on or before Friday 3 July 2020. Staff will be marking the examinations from Monday 6 July in order to ensure the Year 9 reports are issued before the end of term.
1. Unpack your packs and ensure you keep the Stamped Envelope addressed to the school. You will need to post your completed mocks back to us using this prepaid envelope.
2. Check that you have all the papers you expect. If you have any problems please email Ms Corp or Mr McKeown.
3. Download this template and plan when you are going to complete your mocks.. Do not do more than 2 per day and build in revision time.
4. When you start your exams, set a timer and do not exceed the allocated time. Equally, if you finish your paper early, spend the rest of the time improving your work and checking your answers. Always use the full time you are allocated.
5. When you have completed all your mocks, place them in the envelope provided and post it back to the school. Make sure your name and your teacher's name is on all your papers. The deadline for us receiving your papers is Friday 3 July 2020 - please leave enough time for delivery. You can drop your completed papers to the school if you prefer. We will arrange for a box to be outside reception from Wednesday 1 July 2020.
We have created a section on our website for Year 11 so that they can start preparing for their A-Level / Level 3 studies. The resources and guides can be found at http://www.thedeanes.academy/work/year-11-continued-learning/. It’s up to the students how they use the resources but I would advise that they focus on the subjects they are planning to study next year and spend time learning as much as they can.
Students should feel free to contact the relevant teacher if they want to discuss anything about the work or get help with the questions.
In addition, our friends at USP College (Seevic) have emailed all Year 11 applicants detailing how to access transition resources and the additional support available to them. I would encourage our students who have received this email to engage with the material to ensure they are fully prepared for the progression to their next level of study.
If any student has not yet applied to USP College but would be interested in a taster of what the College has to offer, please complete an application via their website. They will then be sent login details and be able to access the same learning materials.
The link to USP for students of The Deanes is https://www.uspcollege.ac.uk/the-deanes-school/
Distance Learning Help
In order to make things a little easier for parents and students, we have provided a list of email addresses for some staff so that you can contact them if you have a query about a particular subject. This list can be accessed here - http://www.thedeanes.academy/work/help-with-distance-learning/
How to contact us
Can I also remind you that we want to do what we can to support our students and their families during this period.
In order to help with communication, we have set up a quick form. By using this form, we will be able to respond to you very quickly and it will allow our reception staff to remain at home.
If you need to contact us during this difficult period, please click here. The form is also on our website under the 'Contact Us' menu item.